I know I’m not the first to say this, but I’m going to say it anyway.
I’m tired of all of the division and anger in our country.
I’m tired of people who are happy to fight with strangers on the internet, and forget that there are human beings on the other side.
I’m tired of people saying, if you don’t agree with me on this politician, or this issue, we can’t be friends.
I’m tired of people announcing on Facebook that they are pruning their friends list.
I’m tired of people sharing things that are not true because it lines up with their prior assumptions.
I wish I could say that these exhausting things would be alleviated after the election. But they won’t. Because the problems are not ultimately about our politicians. I have been asking the Lord for clarity on the root of our current tensions. It’s not politicians. Politicians are temporary.
What I am coming to terms with is that we have forgotten how to love people. We have forgotten how to serve without demanding anything in return. We have forgotten, that even people we disagree with are made in God’s image. We have forgotten that we might be wrong sometimes and the other person could be right.
I think that is part of why I’m tired. I have to keep reminding myself that it’s not my job to fix people. It’s not my job to win every argument. Sometimes we just need to walk away from the debate.
This is what I am committing to:
- I will love you even if we disagree
- I will assume the best about you even if we disagree
- I will continue to pray for you to experience blessing and joy
- I will continue to read Scripture and let the Word of God shape my life
- I will lift up Jesus
- I will teach the Bible to the best of my ability
- I will not let your opinion of me outweigh what God says about me, and I will not let my opinion about you shape what God says about you
If you’re tired, I invite you to join me on this journey. I’m tired of being tired.
One thought on “I’m Tired.”