I know it’s already two days ago but some times I just need a little time to process and think and stuff.
Tuesday I was really expecting to do a lot of work-work during the day, it didn’t work out that way for me but I did get a lot of great wisdom thrown at me. It was great.
I started out going to staff meeting and remembering that we were going to have a guest with us, I totally forgot about that, but it was all good. Dan Serdahl from Newlife Kitsap came over and shared a little bit of his journey and the Newlife’s Journey.
The first thing that I need to say about Dan is that he is someone who is 100% present when he is talking to you. He really cared about who was talking, and he remembered details about each person.
I’m just going to bullet point my notes from what he said, they’re a little disjointed but I there is some definite gold in there.
- We tend to hide behind other people’s leadership instead of following Jesus and where he is leading us
- The tension points are where the a-ha moments in the gospel happen
- Blessed are you when you are at the end of your rope because that’s when Jesus shows up and says surprise
- Newlife stumbled into being a safe place. Now they are in the tension place between grace and truth
- Lower the bar of acceptance
- When someone says yes to Jesus the bar becomes higher because we expect people to give their lives away
- Jesus lives in the culture and we are called to the culture (not sub-culture – not the same as being culturally relevant that’s different somehow)
- Missional theology is living in the culture
- Pray for relationships first
So those are a few notes. It was a great time, super encouraging.
Then I met with my youth ministry prof from Northwest University and he challenged me to think a little differently about ministry, and how we are doing things. All in all tuesday was a very great day.